India has a large number of teachers and needs many more. All processes of teacher recruitment, training, motivation, incentives, retention and feedback therefore have to be planned on a large scale. Further the ultimate goal of in-service teacher development should be to ensure that optimal learning takes place in the classrooms.
- To enhance the institutional capacity available at present forensuring the adequate supply of trained teachers for all levels of school education.
- To utilize all possible kinds of institutions, including universitydepartments of education and teacher training institutions in theprivate sector, for in-service training of the existing cadre at all levels, in addition to State institutions, including CTEs;
- To recognize teacher education (for all levels of school education,from pre-school to senior secondary) as a sector of highereducation and to facilitate co-operation and collaboration betweeninstitutes of teacher training and colleges of general education oruniversities with a view to enabling interaction between differentdepartments of a local college (or university) (e.g. sciences,languages, social sciences) and the institute of teacher training.
- To envision a comprehensive model of teacher education, utilizingthe Chattopadhayay Commission Report and updating itsperspective, and ensuring that progress towards a new,comprehensive model is paralleled by necessary modifications inpolicies of teacher recruitment, deployment and service conditions,including emoluments;
- To prepare a curriculum policy and framework for teachereducation which is consistent with the vision of the NCF, 2005,and to translate it into imaginative syllabi and textbooks for preservicecourses and sets of in-service training material suited todiverse conditions and needs; and
- To bring about synergy between institutional structures operatingat different levels, e.g. NCERT and NCTE at national level, SCERTs and boards of education at State level, DIETs and undergraduate colleges at the district level and so on.